You are interested in...
Then the open admission Bachelor of Business Mathematics at the University of Würzburg is just right for you!
The Bachelor's program in Business Mathematics is an application-oriented, interdisciplinary program offered by the Faculty of Mathematics and Computer Science together with the Faculty of Business Management and Economics at the University of Würzburg.
Structure of the Bachelor of Business Mathematics at the University of Würzburg from WS2023/24 onwards
- In the first three semesters with an essentially fixed curriculum, you will become familiar with the basics of mathematics, computer science and economics. In the second part of the program (semesters four to six), you can choose lectures and seminars according to your preferences.
- During this period you will also complete your obligatory internship of at least 6 weeks in industry, business or administration, which serves the practical teaching of relevant problem areas and the practice in the implementation of the knowledge acquired in the specialized studies in practice.
- Towards the end of your studies, you will complete your written Bachelor's thesis under the supervision of a lecturer.
Fundamentals and Orientation Examination
After the second semester, the successful completion of Analysis 1 or 2 or Linear Algebra 1 or 2, as well as 10 ECTS (i.e. two courses) of the compulsory area of Economics will count as a Fundamentals and Orientation Exam. If this cannot be fulfilled (and only then), then after the third semester the successful completion of at least one of the modules Total Overview of Analysis or Total Overview of Linear Algebra (= one of the oral exams) must be proven, as well as 15 ECTS (i.e. three courses) of the compulsory area of Economics. If this cannot be achieved either, the bachelor's degree program is considered to have been definitively failed.
If you have acquired 180 ECTS points within the framework of the examination regulations, you will receive the academic degree of Bachelor of Science.
The chances of business mathematics graduates on the job market are generally considered to be good. According to the Federal Employment Agency, the professional situation has improved greatly in recent years. Business mathematics has found tasks in almost all branches of the economy.
Business mathematicians can be found in planning departments in industry as well as in the insurance and credit industries, information technology or in universities, research institutes, and ministries. Business mathematicians have their main fields of activity in
- in the insurance and credit industry,
- in the operational data processing organization,
- in research and development,
- in education and training,
- in finance and accounting
- at data processing manufacturers,
- software companies,
- at management consultancies and market research institutes,
- at banks, building societies or professional pension institutions.
In self-employment, they also work as management consultants or appraisers.
Business mathematicians are often employed in interdisciplinary teams. In professional practice, they are thus often employees in a group consisting predominantly of non-mathematicians. They must therefore be able to transfer a concretely given task from the technical language of the application area into the language of mathematics, to solve it there and then to translate the result back into the technical language of the respective application area.
Typical tasks are
- Analysis of scientific, economic or organizational problems,
- economic efficiency calculations, the optimization of operational processes,
- Formation of suitable mathematical models,
- development of new as well as adaptation and application of known mathematical solution methods,
- use of computers to solve the problems,
- analysis of financial market instruments,
- business consulting,
- analysis of markets (e.g. labor market, goods markets).
Some possible fields of activity are shown by our graduates:
Prerequisites: Admission requirement for the study program is a university entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur, FOS/BOS 13), no aptitude test.
Admission: the study program is open admission without a minimum grade point average, from ~ July 20th, 2023 you can easily enroll online
Enrollment: enrollment will be handled completely online (possible from mid-July)
Study and examination regulations
As a rule, the subject-specific regulations (FSB) that were in force when you started your studies apply to you. The subject-specific regulations (SFB), which are included in the appendix, contain all the modules that you can take during your studies.
- General Study and Examination Regulations for Bachelor and Master Programs (ASPO)
- Subject-specific regulations for the bachelor's degree program in business mathematics (PO 2022)
The examination board is responsible, among other things
- Recognition issues at the beginning of studies for achievements acquired in previous courses of study or at another place of study,
- Recognition issues during the course of study
- Equal opportunity issues
Studying abroad is not only a good opportunity to get to know the people, culture and language of another country - it is also very valuable for the academic education as well as for the personal development of the students.
Studying at a foreign university is therefore actively encouraged by the Faculty of Business Management and Economics. For example, students receive support through:
- an information event at the beginning of each semester
- a dedicated contact person at the faculty for study abroad: Michaela Briglmeir
- individual advice in the search for a suitable partner university
- tips for finding an apartment
Best of all: after prior consultation and review, many courses taken abroad can be recognized within the Bachelor of Business Mathematics.
You can find more information about studying abroad on the International page.
You'll find further testimonials from our students about their stay abroad on our Instagram channel. Have a look!
The Business Mathematics program teaches both business and computer science-specific content, but the focus of the program is on deepening knowledge in mathematics and stochastics.
Take the interest test at the University of Würzburg and find out!
The subject is open admission, i.e. anyone can enroll in the program regardless of their Abitur grade. In the first two semesters, students must show whether they are up to the demanding course of study. Those who are sure - "Business, that's my thing." - their performance at school will not stand in their way.
If you want to get involved besides your studies, the student organizations such as the student initiative ADF WiWi e.V., the student council, AISEC or the student stock exchange forum as well as working as a student assistant or tutor offer you the opportunity to actively participate in a lively campus.
The successful completion of the Bachelor's program in Business and Economics qualifies you in particular for the following Master's programs at JMU Würzburg: